Saturday, April 25, 2015

Gaming

I have played hundreds of video games, thousands of hours. I  don't like too consider myself a “gamer”, as I feel that it just an arbitrary label or thing to be defined as, they way I see it I'm just a guy who likes to play video games. But I would also consider myself pretty picky with my games, I don’t like to play most low-budget indie games and more casual games like a Lego game or Wii Sports. While I appreciate a lot of their concepts and art direction, I find that a lot of indie games can’t hold my attention and I quickly uninstall them and forget about them. With that preface I'll be talking about a game that I hold very near and dear to me called Dark Souls. 

Dark Souls is a Japanese studios take on western fantasy adventure games. You get a bit of story in the beginning then your thrust out into the very unforgiving world. You have to figure out what path to take and discern whats happening in the world. Dark Souls has very unforgiving combat, make one mistake and you could be down to a third of your health in almost no time. Some people might not like that but I kinda relish the challenge, and thats one thing you'll get a huge challenge. Some might call the difficulty unfair and artificial but to me it means that you have to commit to the gameplay, learn the mechanics and plan your moves the reward comes from conquering the challenge. I also adore the approach to story, there are some NPCs that give you vague hints on backstory and other characters but most of the story comes from reading item descriptions and piecing the events together. It does have its faults, some bugs appear and make some places and fight very difficult, the graphics could use polish and there are some pretty obscure things that dont translate well into English but these are minimal.          

Dark Souls is an interesting and refreshing take on video games and if you can handle the frustration you have to pick it up as soon as you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment