Saturday, April 25, 2015

New Comics

I read Ducks by Kate Beaton for the assignment. Right of the bat I really like Beaton, I read her comic Hark! A Vagrant often, she has great comedic sense and has a very appealing art style, I even follow her on twitter where she draws her doodles and shares her musings. So I was pretty excited to read about Ducks, but then I saw that this was a more serious and less humorous comic and more just a way to tell a story about what she experienced during her time working in a particular place. I enjoy reading about something for the perspective of someone who I dont have much in common with to see how that person reacts and deals with certain events. One of these she showed was when a prostitute who was high on some kind of drug wandered onto the job site and because most of the workers were men they had to nervously ask her to help talk this person down. I though "huh what if it was me? What if the person was black and because I was one of the few blacks at the job they asked me to help?" Outside of the more sombre bit there some funny moments like a worker making a scarecrow out of an unused uniform or someone simply saying that ducks were fucking stupid. I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to more of Beaton's tales from her life.      

No comments:

Post a Comment